• Members
  • 921 posts
  • Steam noname2tellu

• PlayerID 1669

• LocationMainChar: 1796

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:50 AM

To start things off:

Added Arcane Barrage T2: If you have 3 or more Arcane Charges, your next physical attack will spend 3 Arcane Charges, dealing a burst of magical damage.

This description on the wiki is a little off (not a big deal).

Added Arcane Barrage T2: If you have 1 or more Arcane Charges, your next physical attack will spend ALL Arcane Charges, dealing a burst of magical damage.

Not that much different you would think, but what can happen is the arcane barrage can proc off of spells...

Combine this with the fact that there is no 'cap' for the arcane charges, that blink (with the talent 3/3) has a short cooldown and generates 1 arcane charge, and that only frost nova has a temporary cooldown after blinking... Funny things happen to say the least, download the demo and watch :D.

I'm not very high level, or even well geared on my mage, and it feels like this combination is far too powerful.

Arcane barrage can hit for 20-40 (depending on resist / crit or not) and that is per charge. The demo really highlights this aspect off xD.

Added Arcane Missiles T3: Your attacks have a moderate chance to cast Arcane Missiles, dealing magical damage and generating an Arcane Charge. Second rank halves the mana cost.

It looks like you would constantly being spamming out arcane barrages (with how often I remember arcane missiles going off), this seems a little excessive to me with how easy it is to generate an arcane charge.

Added Mana Adept T4: You deal increased damage the lower on mana you are

I also feel that this talent is a little odd when the arcane mage is supposed to be about mana >.> (as in keeping your mana pool high).

Added Arcane Discharge T2: Each Arcane Charge you spend increases your spelldamage by 1/2/3% for the rest of the round / till your next death

Current arcane barrage setup makes this talent some what insane (espeically at higher levels when you have over 100 spell power and think of boss :P, plenty of time to ramp up a lot of arcane charges etc).

Purposed Changes:

Added Arcane Barrage T2: If you have 1 or more Arcane Charges, your next physical attack will spend 1 Arcane Charges, dealing a burst of magical damage. Max 3 Arcane Charges.

Purpose: Still a really good spell / talent (semi reliable and free arcane missile anyone?), but it stops the derpy burst damage that this talent can provide (aka making it more of a t2 talent rather than i-win button). Not procing off of spells forces the mage to actually be in the battle instead of hiding under or behind cover and makes it so that frost nova / arcane explode spam doesn't get a jump in damage (due to getting arcane charges from arcane explode every cast and spending them on every next cast). The damage on it doesn't have to be changed I feel if arcane barrage can only use 1 arcane charge per hit (a small 0.5 sec timer might need to be introduced though to throttle the dps from it a little).

Added Arcane Missiles T3: Your attacks have a moderate chance to cast Arcane Missiles, dealing magical damage and has a 25/50% chance of generating an Arcane Charge. Second rank halves the mana cost.

Purpose: Arcane missiles were good from the start, I don't think it is necessary to have it also generating arcane charges on every cast. In a sense arcane missiles becomes a very reliable arcane barrage just as arcane barrage is a semi-reliable arcane missile. (Perhaps I should just compare them both to being like scorch xD, sorry if this is a tad confusing, basically an extra source of damage on top of everything else.) This would also provide a greater incentive to put two points into the talent ;P, still a good source of extra damage and arcane charges.

Old: Mana Adept T4: You deal increased damage the lower on mana you are

New: Mana Adept T4: When low on mana your mana regeneration is greatly increased

Purpose: With two other talents encouraging increasing your mana per 5 this seemed a little awkward of a talent. I've always felt that arcane mage was more of a mana / utility talent setup (before it was mainly just using mana wisely with shield / talent to reduce mana cost). Something as simple as the mana regen being increased based off the percentage of your missing mana could work (as long as the haste related talent doesn't update in real time and only occurs on spawn xD).

Added Arcane Discharge T2: Each Arcane Charge you spend increases your spelldamage by 2/3/4% for the rest of the round / till your next death. Max effect 15%

Purpose: Another case of something not having a cap that could become really powerful. There is not much increased damage in the arcane tree, but this would still provide a good boost of damage while still being arcane charge / barrage related. The slight increase in the spell damage per charge spent is to compensate the changes to arcane barrage / missiles.

tl;dr dl watch demo

Dat wall :V! Sorry for long post and I hope I didn't miss something x.x... (caught myself calling arcane missiles a t4 when it is t3 >.>...)

Attached Files

Old Hits.
Spoiler

Hatchling #CA : DK should be OP since it is a donator class

Mazz: I will say that YOU are not looking at the talent tree correctly.
Attack Power means nothing for an unholy / frost DK

Nov 14,2013: [WC] You cast Frostbolt at Derek and deal 94 damage with a slowdown effect (Affected by: Critical)
Nov 17,2013: (versus mage boss) [WC]You cast Frostbolt at BonBons and deal 165 damage with a slowdown effect (Affected by:Critical)
For norm frostbolt of about 40 in this setup I say that is rather good :D..

#2 OFFLINE   Arioni

Arioni

Field Marshal

• Moderators

• 1318 posts
  • LocationFinland

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

Yeah it's a bug that spells proc Arcane Barrage. Was only meant to proc off of physical attacks.
Mana Adept won't be changed; its entire purpose is to benefit those who know how to keep their mana low but still have enough of mana to fight.
Arcane Barrage was originally 3 charges but was then changed to 1 charge for testing purposes, I'll be changing it to 2 charges, as 3 charges was a bit too hard to gather.
"You're so retarded that you shouldn't go to sleep; you might forget how to breathe" - Wenneth Keld

#3 OFFLINE   Oob

Oob

Marshal

• Members
  • 921 posts
  • Steam noname2tellu

• PlayerID 1669

• LocationMainChar: 1796

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

View PostArioni, on 16 May 2014 - 06:26 AM, said:

Yeah it's a bug that spells proc Arcane Barrage. Was only meant to proc off of physical attacks.
Mana Adept won't be changed; its entire purpose is to benefit those who know how to keep their mana low but still have enough of mana to fight.
Arcane Barrage was originally 3 charges but was then changed to 1 charge for testing purposes, I'll be changing it to 2 charges, as 3 charges was a bit too hard to gather.

Good to know arcane barrage was bugged rather than it being a feature, it procing off spells.

For mana adept how low is "low mana" and what is the damage boost though? Still seems like an odd talent to me :P.

Should arcane barrage be consuming all the charges? As the demo shows everything gets dumped in one 'hit' :P.
Old Hits.
Spoiler

Hatchling #CA : DK should be OP since it is a donator class

Mazz: I will say that YOU are not looking at the talent tree correctly.
Attack Power means nothing for an unholy / frost DK

Nov 14,2013: [WC] You cast Frostbolt at Derek and deal 94 damage with a slowdown effect (Affected by: Critical)
Nov 17,2013: (versus mage boss) [WC]You cast Frostbolt at BonBons and deal 165 damage with a slowdown effect (Affected by:Critical)
For norm frostbolt of about 40 in this setup I say that is rather good :D..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users