stinkyfax

Administrator

• Administrators

• 2675 posts
  • Steam xrushiov

• PlayerID 1001

• LocationUK

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Over years I was advising people in purchasing a PC, but this time I have to get one for myself. My current one is around 6 years old and is highly unstable (I cannot even do work on it).

Here is the current list I made:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£235.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory:  G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£74.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  (£99.90 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  (£122.40 @ Amazon UK)
Case:  Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£88.97 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply:  XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£73.78 @ Dabs)
Total: £850.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-01 17:55 BST+0100)

http://uk.pcpartpick...yfax/saved/4wpv

Shortly the purpose of PC is mainly Programming in Linux and playing DOTA2. That explains why my GPU is 'mediocre', but on the other hand I want PC to handle everything I throw at it: 30 Chrome tabs, Flash videos, DOTA2, and coding in same time :D That shall explain why I am going for a top CPU.

Long version:

CPU
First of all I was looking into AMD, to keep the costs minimal. AMD FX-9370 looks very attractive, PROOF. Fast, and yet cheap, just look at CPU Mark / Price graph. My AMD theory got shattered mostly due to next facts:
  • Quality Motherboards on 990 chipset cost just as much, as quality motherboars for i7. I was initially hoping to save ~£30 on motherboard, so that is a delusion.
  • The difference between paying for PC £700 and £800 in the end is not that significant. I would rather pay £800 for 100% performance, than £700 for 70% performance.
  • I have been thinking of installing MacOS as well, and getting MacOS work on AMD computer is a TRUE nightmare.
So, now I have Intel-only option, what CPU to pick? First of all I am not looking into 6core CPU's, they are too expensive, 2 core is simply not enough - face it, games are finally parallel!

That is i5 and i7 families, i5 does not have hyper-threading, and then again the maximum I'll save on downgrading to i5 is around £50. Then as I am rather confident in hardware, I would like to have Overclocking allowed as an option. Intel made it no brainer leaving us no option to be honest...
i7-4770k or go previous generation i7-3770k?
i7-4770k consumes less power (I am not a green-freak, but electricity costs, and overclocking is easier when it heats less)
It also is cheaper, so why even decide?
Also if you look into CPU Mark / Price on Intel only (excluding AMD), i7-4770k is in high tops.

To be honest that is bizarre, I would also think that the best out of best products are always overpriced becuase they are best, but intel (except 6 core cpu's) is an exception to this rule.

CPU Cooler
I have not looked much into this yet, I am very interested in water cooling option, but might pass on it for sake of budget for now. My decision on the cooler was mainly from finding the most popular but cheap CPU cooler on the pcpartpicker.com site. Looks like it is #1 cooler to go if you are on a budget + your Case can fit it :D

Motherboard
to be continued...
Tristen: Son of a monkey.

#2 OFFLINE   django

django

Sergeant

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

For your current purpose of the PC that looks pretty good my PC is fairly new and that processor is so much better than mine haha my god.

off topic- dota sucks D: play league!
[WC] You cast Healing Wave on Django and restore 33 hp with additional 27 armor for 30 sec
[WC] Echo of the Elements
[WC] You cast Healing Wave on Django and restore 33 hp with additional 27 armor for 30 sec
[WC] You cast Healing Wave on Django and restore 33 hp with additional 27 armor for 30 se

#3 OFFLINE   Raging

Raging

Marshal

• Item Team
  • 886 posts
  • PlayerID Raging

• LocationDanger Danger, Hight Voltage

Users Awards

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

I'm sure that CM Cooler will fit, only on 1 side or barely on the RAM side.

No normal HDD's, guessing you're going to throw a old one in there.
super hyphy (no sound) : stinky, can u make 82 uncommons better than 78 epics
Stinkyfax :i can make my mum better than your GF

#4 OFFLINE   Bajjtish

Bajjtish

Mannen, Myten, Legenden

• Members
  • 830 posts
  • Steam STEAM_0:1:28908850

• PlayerID 24089

• LocationSweden

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

View Postdjango, on 01 May 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

That's just immature, you can play whatever you like

#5 OFFLINE   Sirchipnsalsa

Sirchipnsalsa

Commander

• Developer

• 622 posts
  • Steam Sirchipnsalsa

• PlayerID 1291

• LocationFlo 'Rida

Users Awards

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:42 PM

View Postdjango, on 01 May 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

For your current purpose of the PC that looks pretty good my PC is fairly new and that processor is so much better than mine haha my god.

Please don't start the moba wars... ;_;
12:12 PM - Porta: tas is pony faggot
12:12 PM - Porta: dont trust him
- - - - -
PacmaN :   BITCH I GOT A POCKET FULL OF SUNSHINE

Panda. Cat.

#6 OFFLINE   stinkyfax

stinkyfax

Administrator

• Administrators

• 2675 posts
  • Steam xrushiov

• PlayerID 1001

• LocationUK

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:53 PM

View PostRaging, on 01 May 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

I'm sure that CM Cooler will fit, only on 1 side or barely on the RAM side.

No normal HDD's, guessing you're going to throw a old one in there.
You sure or you are not sure?
That is a dodgy topic, indeed fitting coolers can be troublesome, but I though the case i'm buying will fit anything, or are you talking about motherboard having RAM too close to CPU socket?

I will look further into dimensions, etc when buying cooler, but I was almost sure it would fit into this good-looking case.

#7 OFFLINE   stinkyfax

stinkyfax

Administrator

• Administrators

• 2675 posts
  • Steam xrushiov

• PlayerID 1001

• LocationUK

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

OK, I have a bit of time so will give you reasoning behind components. (Modifying original post)
Still not enough time, so i'll add more later :D

#8 OFFLINE   Raging

Raging

Marshal

• Item Team
  • 886 posts
  • PlayerID Raging

• LocationDanger Danger, Hight Voltage

Users Awards

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

View Poststinkyfax, on 01 May 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

You sure or you are not sure?
That is a dodgy topic, indeed fitting coolers can be troublesome, but I though the case i'm buying will fit anything, or are you talking about motherboard having RAM too close to CPU socket?

I will look further into dimensions, etc when buying cooler, but I was almost sure it would fit into this good-looking case.

You can pretty much roll with the stock cooler they give with (if they give), if you dont want to go super heavy duty with cpu

E: Checked the CPU cooler, Ripjaws are 40mm high and the cooler itself is 37mm high. You can still roll with it, just RAM side might get close. 1 Fan is enough with that cooler unless you go heavy CPU duty and OC stuff.

Edited by Raging, 01 May 2014 - 08:26 PM.

super hyphy (no sound) : stinky, can u make 82 uncommons better than 78 epics
Stinkyfax :i can make my mum better than your GF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users