WoW mod forum is desolated. If you are looking for us - join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/KqaKUPB . With love and gratitude, Stinkyfax.

Your PC specs + build-ups

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Ancklebitter

Ancklebitter

Sergeant

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Steam Local Smuggler

• LocationBulgaria

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:32 PM

Just made a slight overclock 4k to 4.1k Ghz :O I feel satisfied... Step by step getting to the 5Ghz :D

#82 OFFLINE   Ancklebitter

Ancklebitter

Sergeant

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Steam Local Smuggler

• LocationBulgaria

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

Got my dual channel running! Soo I can have 20+ open tabs, also can someone with a general idea of overclocking tell me why windows aero disables as I enable OC? xD Im just testing out +0.625V +200Mhz +1 Multiplier, nothing huge and temps are around 30 idle.

(I have it fixed, I still would like to know if anyone could share)

#83 OFFLINE   Rescape

Rescape

Detective Rescape

• Events Team

• 1373 posts
  • LocationFinland

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:51 PM

View PostAncklebitter, on 19 May 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

Got my dual channel running! Soo I can have 20+ open tabs, also can someone with a general idea of overclocking tell me why windows aero disables as I enable OC? xD Im just testing out +0.625V +200Mhz +1 Multiplier, nothing huge and temps are around 30 idle.

I can do that with shitloads of cheaper set.

View Poststinkyfax, on 29 October 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

I declare Monday being an official annoy-hani day

#praiserescape

#84 OFFLINE   Wookie

Wookie

The Path Preserver

• Events Team

• 2450 posts
  • Steam Wookie

• LocationFinland

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:42 PM

View PostRescape, on 19 May 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

I can do that with shitloads of cheaper set.
https://chrome.googl...her-info-dialog
Dat chrome
Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired.
- Cave Johnson

#85 OFFLINE   stinkyfax

stinkyfax

Administrator

• Administrators

• 2676 posts
  • Steam xrushiov

• PlayerID 1001

• LocationUK

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

View PostAncklebitter, on 19 May 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

Instability. Maybe failure in graphics driver. Aero requires 3d acceleration, thus if it disables - it might receive a signal that 3d acceleration is disabled/unavailable/etc.  It can also auto disable when decides that your PC is overloaded.

Ok, that is why windows disables aero. Now why one of these things happen?
Could be: unstable overclocking application, unstable drivers, unstable hardware.

P.S. It still is best to do overclocking inside of BIOS, and then test in Windows stability.. Yes it is a lot longer, but if you want shortcuts - expect random glitches like this one.
Tristen: Son of a monkey.

#86 OFFLINE   Ancklebitter

Ancklebitter

Sergeant

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Steam Local Smuggler

• LocationBulgaria

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

View Poststinkyfax, on 19 May 2015 - 07:10 PM, said:

Instability. Maybe failure in graphics driver. Aero requires 3d acceleration, thus if it disables - it might receive a signal that 3d acceleration is disabled/unavailable/etc.  It can also auto disable when decides that your PC is overloaded.

Ok, that is why windows disables aero. Now why one of these things happen?
Could be: unstable overclocking application, unstable drivers, unstable hardware.

P.S. It still is best to do overclocking inside of BIOS, and then test in Windows stability.. Yes it is a lot longer, but if you want shortcuts - expect random glitches like this one.

Thanks but apperantly I got a shit cooler xD. Its 48$ and by what I heard from a tech friend its horrible. I didnt want that stock one but this is just like not even a step above the stock its just more silent.... guess Ill just go with water cooling later on and get more juice out of the cpu.

And Re the single channel was srsly bottlenecking my pc in general now I can freely stream and play whatever on ultra :)

(Never get a Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120)

#87 OFFLINE   stinkyfax

stinkyfax

Administrator

• Administrators

• 2676 posts
  • Steam xrushiov

• PlayerID 1001

• LocationUK

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:18 AM

View PostAncklebitter, on 19 May 2015 - 08:15 PM, said:

Thanks but apperantly I got a shit cooler xD. Its 48$ and by what I heard from a tech friend its horrible. I didnt want that stock one but this is just like not even a step above the stock its just more silent.... guess Ill just go with water cooling later on and get more juice out of the cpu.

And Re the single channel was srsly bottlenecking my pc in general now I can freely stream and play whatever on ultra :)

(Never get a Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120)
If the temperature is not exceeding normal, then what it has to do with cooler? You are talking some illogical non-sense in the deterministic world.

Yah water cooling is great, but Aero and PC in general does not give a crap of the cooler brand you are using as long as temperature does not exceed safe (that is around 80)

#88 OFFLINE   Ancklebitter

Ancklebitter

Sergeant

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Steam Local Smuggler

• LocationBulgaria

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:07 AM

View Poststinkyfax, on 20 May 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

If the temperature is not exceeding normal, then what it has to do with cooler? You are talking some illogical non-sense in the deterministic world.

Yah water cooling is great, but Aero and PC in general does not give a crap of the cooler brand you are using as long as temperature does not exceed safe (that is around 80)

Im retarded, yea it goes up to 75 the motherboard throttles it and it goes back to 45-50. Heats up rather fast to 75 again and same on. I got around it by underclocking keeps a stable 55. I don't understand it entirely otherwise, would take measures... I know it's not only the cooler its the room, the space around the pc, however Im moving after a week or two and Ill see how it works there, before I change the cooler or anything.

#89 OFFLINE   stinkyfax

stinkyfax

Administrator

• Administrators

• 2676 posts
  • Steam xrushiov

• PlayerID 1001

• LocationUK

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

+0.625V +200Mhz +1 Multiplier
Look back at numbers. It actually looks quite large.

Try +0V +50mhz +0 multi and see if it works... then go on and increase bit by bit..
Voltage is sort of stability factor. It does not make your cpu go faster, but without it, the cpu will go unstable if you try too high speed. On other hand, Voltage is the #1 cause of overheating.

As I remember CPU's are around 1.5V, so +0.6 is like +30%? That is crazy :D

#90 OFFLINE   Wookie

Wookie

The Path Preserver

• Events Team

• 2450 posts
  • Steam Wookie

• LocationFinland

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

View Poststinkyfax, on 20 May 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

Try +0V +50mhz +0 multi and see if it works... then go on and increase bit by bit..
Voltage is sort of stability factor. It does not make your cpu go faster, but without it, the cpu will go unstable if you try too high speed. On other hand, Voltage is the #1 cause of overheating.

TIL over-clocking doesn't mean simply putting the bars up higher.
Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired.
- Cave Johnson

#91 OFFLINE   Ancklebitter

Ancklebitter

Sergeant

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Steam Local Smuggler

• LocationBulgaria

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

View Poststinkyfax, on 20 May 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

Yea thats as far as I know, but the cooler cant handle the cpu stock speed. I dont think its the termal paste its 5 months old, the cooler is just too weak like 1300 rpm, it really silent. Ive seen it cap on 1356 RPM so basicly, the temp goes up slowly. I came up with changing the fan with a 2k one :D do you think that will matter? Its got 4 heat sinks so Im really thinking the fan fucks it all up...

#92 OFFLINE   stinkyfax

stinkyfax

Administrator

• Administrators

• 2676 posts
  • Steam xrushiov

• PlayerID 1001

• LocationUK

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostAncklebitter, on 21 May 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Yea thats as far as I know, but the cooler cant handle the cpu stock speed. I dont think its the termal paste its 5 months old, the cooler is just too weak like 1300 rpm, it really silent. Ive seen it cap on 1356 RPM so basicly, the temp goes up slowly. I came up with changing the fan with a 2k one :D do you think that will matter? Its got 4 heat sinks so Im really thinking the fan fucks it all up...
It is difficult to judge cooler's quality on its RPM or the size of radiator. When I was buying one, I just sorted them by popularity and chose the one I like. Here is a good source for finding components: https://pcpartpicker...#sort=d4&page=1

That's the one I have if you are interested: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)

#93 OFFLINE   Ancklebitter

Ancklebitter

Sergeant

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Steam Local Smuggler

• LocationBulgaria

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

Okay so manual oc is better. I got that. :D

Now I learnt my proccesors stock voltage is 1.1500V and it was set to 1.265V for some reason.
What I wanna know is if stock is 4ghz and 1.1500V, does that mean that I had some uneeded V set?

I underclocked to 3800 with a x19 multiplier and @1.1500V currently it's stable and temps are good!

EDIT: Stable, temps are 53-55 and performance isn't really affected.

#94 OFFLINE   stinkyfax

stinkyfax

Administrator

• Administrators

• 2676 posts
  • Steam xrushiov

• PlayerID 1001

• LocationUK

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

View PostAncklebitter, on 23 May 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

Okay so manual oc is better. I got that. :D

Now I learnt my proccesors stock voltage is 1.1500V and it was set to 1.265V for some reason.
What I wanna know is if stock is 4ghz and 1.1500V, does that mean that I had some uneeded V set?

I underclocked to 3800 with a x19 multiplier and @1.1500V currently it's stable and temps are good!

EDIT: Stable, temps are 53-55 and performance isn't really affected.
what is your CPU model? In 95% cases there is no need to underclock your cpu... If it is overheating, I suspect it might be due to badly applied Thermal Paste. Stock coolers are sufficient to handle stock cpu settings

#95 OFFLINE   Ancklebitter

Ancklebitter

Sergeant

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Steam Local Smuggler

• LocationBulgaria

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

View Poststinkyfax, on 23 May 2015 - 08:40 PM, said:

what is your CPU model? In 95% cases there is no need to underclock your cpu... If it is overheating, I suspect it might be due to badly applied Thermal Paste. Stock coolers are sufficient to handle stock cpu settings

FX 8350, hmm what do I get to clean the old one and which paste do you preffer?

#96 OFFLINE   stinkyfax

stinkyfax

Administrator

• Administrators

• 2676 posts
  • Steam xrushiov

• PlayerID 1001

• LocationUK

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:25 PM

View PostAncklebitter, on 23 May 2015 - 08:58 PM, said:

FX 8350, hmm what do I get to clean the old one and which paste do you preffer?
https://pcpartpicker...al-paste-as535g

Last time I had AMD was about 10 years ago, so I cannot suggest you much on this one. What I heard, is that 50C is rather usual for these CPU's.
AMD's as a rule heat more, so it might be wise to buy a custom cooler - up to you... Considered you will be reapplying thermal paste, you might as well spend extra 25 eur to buy a low-budget but doing-its-job cooler. Stay away from water coolers - its money sink unless you don't know where to spend them.

#97 OFFLINE   Ancklebitter

Ancklebitter

Sergeant

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Steam Local Smuggler

• LocationBulgaria

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:02 AM

View Poststinkyfax, on 23 May 2015 - 09:25 PM, said:

https://pcpartpicker...al-paste-as535g

Last time I had AMD was about 10 years ago, so I cannot suggest you much on this one. What I heard, is that 50C is rather usual for these CPU's.
AMD's as a rule heat more, so it might be wise to buy a custom cooler - up to you... Considered you will be reapplying thermal paste, you might as well spend extra 25 eur to buy a low-budget but doing-its-job cooler. Stay away from water coolers - its money sink unless you don't know where to spend them.

Current one is like 35$ wasn't really thinking about that when I bought it.... Gonna see if I can sell it for around 25$? To some intel guy that just wants his quiet.

#98 OFFLINE   stinkyfax

stinkyfax

Administrator

• Administrators

• 2676 posts
  • Steam xrushiov

• PlayerID 1001

• LocationUK

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostAncklebitter, on 24 May 2015 - 10:02 AM, said:

Current one is like 35$ wasn't really thinking about that when I bought it.... Gonna see if I can sell it for around 25$? To some intel guy that just wants his quiet.
Did not you say that you have stock cooler? If it is custom, very likely its all just unlucky/bad application of thermal paste. It is a bit tricky to apply. The method I have been using lately is straight forward and hard to fuck up:
instead of trying to spread the paste equally with a credit card or whatever - just drop a little bit on the centre and let it be spread itself once you apply strong pressure while attaching to CPU. Let the physics work for you :)

There are 100's of videos on youtube for any method you prefer.

#99 OFFLINE   Ancklebitter

Ancklebitter

Sergeant

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Steam Local Smuggler

• LocationBulgaria

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

Guess you are right, but at TomsHardware I was told that this cooler is just a step above the stock. However, as you say the stock should be able to hold the stock mhz, so yarr right Ill see it through!

#100 OFFLINE   Ancklebitter

Ancklebitter

Sergeant

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Steam Local Smuggler

• LocationBulgaria

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

Stinky, Ive read on alot of forums my stock voltage was 1.15 basicly it was set to 1.275 by the Bios auto settings. Now I am running 1.15 without any heat problems but on 3.8ghz. What I wanna ask is, if I try 1.15 with stock speed (4.0Ghz) and it get unstable will I be albe to access the bios? (Noob Question) Or will it just not turn on. I think I will be albe to but just to make it clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users